Business License Application Process
How to Apply for a New License
The 1st step is to fill out an new Business License Application (PDF). Bring your completed application with you to the Business License Department along with (if applicable):
- Occupancy Permit: This permit is issued by the Planning and Zoning Department and the Building Inspections for commercial or residential locations. All businesses MUST have an occupancy permit before applying for a license. A business license may not be issued to a P O Box, or any other commercial mail box location. It must be a physical address.
- If the business is located at a commercial location, an Engineering Certificate must be obtained from the Engineering Department.
- State License(s): Please bring a state license, if applicable. This applies to electrical contractors, plumbers, HVAC, general contractors, doctors, dentists, nurses, pharmacists, veterinarians, PT or OT therapists, massage, insurance, landscaping, pest control, etc.
- Food Service Permit: This permit is issued by Health Department or Department of Agriculture for all businesses selling food (pre-packaged or fresh prepared).
- Sales Tax and Federal Employer Identification (FEI) numbers
- ID on all owners or officers (Drivers License and Social Security card)
- Certification of payment of Hall County taxes if license is needed same day of application (we can verify this internally at the time of your application.)
- Completed Business License application and citizenship forms. The citizenship form must be notarized - we have notaries in our office for your convenience. Do not sign the form until you come in so we can witness the actual signature.
- Please bring your green card or other INS or HLS documentation if you are not a U.S. citizen.
- Please bring your corporate registration, if applicable.
- If your business will be located at a commercial location, you must provide a valid lease from the owner of the property when applying for a business license.
- Other various documents necessary as applicable for certain business types. Please call for specific information regarding certain business types.
- Please bring your payment. Acceptable forms of payment include cash, check, or credit card (VISA®, MasterCard®, and DISCOVER®).
Occupational tax fees in Hall County are based on the total number of people working in the business, INCLUDING OWNERS, not on annual income as in other counties. To learn more, view the Occupational Tax Fees (PDF).
License Fees & Renewals
License fees for businesses with an effective beginning date of April 1 or later will be pro-rated the first year, depending on the actual beginning date of the business. All licenses must be renewed each year by January 1.