To minimize the amount of antifreeze that must be managed or the hazards associated with its use:
Buy and use only the quantity needed
Capture the antifreeze when the coolant or hoses are changed, and reuse or recycle it
Watch for and repair any leaks
Store antifreeze in tightly closed containers to prevent it from being spilled or contaminated by other materials
Use antifreeze that is designed to last for 4 years or 50,000 to 60,000 miles (most antifreezes need to be replaced every 2 years).
Recycling & Reuse Options
Antifreeze can be recycled; however, there are
no sites in Hall County for recycling of antifreeze. Used antifreeze still protects against freezing and boilovers; however, the corrosion inhibitors may be depleted during use and should be replaced in the recycling process. To close the recycling loop, purchase recycled antifreeze, when possible.
If the antifreeze cannot be reused, given away, or recycled, then read and follow the product's label for the manufacturer's instructions on proper disposal. If recycling is not feasible, then antifreeze may be disposed of in 1 of 2 ways.
If the local wastewater treatment plant permits it, antifreeze may be poured down an inside drain, flushing with plenty of water. Contact the local wastewater treatment plant for information. In addition, under state law, solidified antifreeze can be legally disposed of in a permitted, Subtitle D landfill. Hall County has such a landfill. To solidify the antifreeze, mix the antifreeze with enough absorbent material, such as cat-box filler, to absorb all free liquids.
Place the solidified antifreeze in a bag or wrap in newspaper before disposing in a landfill. The empty container should be recycled, if possible. If it cannot be recycled, the empty container can be disposed of in a landfill.
Antifreeze should not be poured down septic tanks, outside drains, in the storm sewer, or on the ground. This may cause groundwater contamination and/or operational problems with the septic system or wastewater treatment plant. Antifreeze can also harm pets if ingested.